Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:52:08 +1100
From:      Joe Shevland <J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
Cc:        Miguel Sierra <msierra@bvinet.com>, "'freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java in Freebsd

Mike Jeays wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Miguel Sierra wrote:
>

> > I have read a lot about java and have mess a lot with it in Windows
> > platforms and all kinds of programs that are done for Windows95 using
> > the JDK from Sun. Could anybody tell me the procedure to make java work
> > and compile in FreeBsd???
> >
> > I know this sounds like a basic question, but I'm just getting to
> > configure my FreeBsd machine to have all the things I'll like to learn
> > about.
> >
> > Thank you for reading,
> >
> > Miguel.
> >
> Try the following:
>
> Download a copy of the jdk from ftp.freebsd.org.  It is a file named
> "jdk1.1.7.V98-11-5.tar.gz".
>
> Make sure you are logged on as root.
>
> Execute the commands:
> cd /usr/local
> tar -xvzf {download directory}/jdk1.1.7.V98-11-5.tar.gz
>
> Change your .cshrc file to include the following references to the JDK
> setenv  CLASSPATH .:/usr/local/jdk1.1.7/classes:/usr/local/lib/netscape
> setenv  LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /usr/local/jdk1.1.7/lib/i386:/usr/local/qt/lib:/usr/lesstif/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/lib

I guess the only bit I'd add for a learner's sake is that in your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH the important bit is the

/usr/local/jdk117/lib/i386

the rest is Mike's system dependant stuff like Postgres libs etc.
Similarly in the CLASSPATH, the jdk classes are succeded here by a
reference to classes bundled with Netscape. You may or may not want the
Netscape ones, and you may have other JAR or ZIP files you want to
include.
e.g.

setenv  CLASSPATH
.:/usr/local/jdk1.1.7/classes:/usr/local/myjava/myjarfile.jar

Joe with his 0.02 worth