Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 21:55:42 -0400
From:      donc@compsvcs.com (Don Cohen)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        donc@compsvcs.com
Subject:   problems installing freebsd

I'm trying to install on a laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5000.
I got past the first problem, which is that the space I had reserved
for the install was a logical partition inside an extended partition
and freebsd was not willing to look inside that.
Now it appears that my network card is not recognized.
I got a 3com card cause I thought it would be most universally
accepted.  It's a model 3CCFE575CT-D.  I don't see it in the list.
Is there some place to find new drivers?
I suppose that even if it is supported soon I won't be able to use it
to install.  So the alternatives seem to be cd or disk.  It's not
clear to me how to use the disk option.  My partitions are
- a small linux boot partition (not big enough)
- an extended partition containing linux partitions
- a suspend/resume partition.
If I download to one of my linux partitions can I use that in the
install?  How?  It says to enter a path.  If the extended partition
isad0s2 and in linux I put the stuff in /foo then what do I type
there?  Or do I just have to get the CD?  And then a new network card
too?

Thanks.