Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:14:26 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jeff <jeff@simplenet.com>
Subject:   Re: ATI Mobility

"Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es> wrote:

> However, the Linux kernel *can* set that VESA video mode. How?
> Obviously, what I am trying to do is the same trick that the Linux
> people uses, but as a small wrapper for the XF86_Mach64 server that
> could set the 0x117 VESA mode, start the X server, and restore the old
> video mode on exit.

     There's more to the problem than this.  I just got a 7500, and
I think that we may just have to wait for XFree86 to support the
Mobility-P (or buy the commercial server, which I may do).

     In order for the VESA ioctl() to "work", you've got to disable the
code in sys/i386/isa/vesa.c that checks for "supported VESA modes".
Until you do that, none of the VESA modes are accessible ("vidcontrol -i
mode" shows no VESA modes).  The BIOS on the Inspiron reports that all
VESA modes have the "V_MODENONVGA" mode attribute bit set, and FreeBSD
normally rejects any mode with this bit set.

     If you do this, and force the VESA mode using the
ioctl(...,SW_VESA_64K_1024,...) trick on /dev/ttyv8, you can get
1024x768 to work on an Inspiron 7500, but the display is fuzzy (due to
the automatic screen "stretching").  The default cross-hatched
background is particularly ugly, with faint moire-like patterns due to
aliasing/stretching.  You do have to compile up an XFree86 3.3.5 Mach64
server with Jay Kuri's patches, though; the FreeBSD one referenced in
the linux page won't work.

     Unfortunately, I've been unable to get 1400x1050 to work.  X11
starts (and can be seen), but the graphics are corrupted.  Foo.  So
close.  I may hack on this a bit more.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com