Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:52:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Alex Banks <banka@surf.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Alex Banks wrote:

> i am trying to install freebsd 2.1 but i have a problem with freebsd not
> finding my mitsumi cd-rom

OK, this isn't that uncommon.

> cd-rom type: mitsumi hex speed
> firmware revision 1.00
>
> i am running the cyrix 686 p120+100 cpu with a pentium mouther board, the
> mouther board has 2 on board ide controlers curently the hard disk and
> cd-rom are on diffrint controlers i would prefer it to stay this way the
> hard disk is on irq 14 and port 1f0 and the cd-rom is on irq 15 and port 170

> when ever i setup cd-rom to be on irq 15 and port 170 it conflicts with the
> port controler

The CDROM is an ATAPI drive and is controlled by the secondary IDE
controller (wdc1).  I assume you're trying to configure the mcd0 device,
which is for the proprietary Mitsumi interface which was common several
years ago.  All you need to do is enable the wdc1 device and cross your
fingers.

I suggest trying to set up your CDROM as a slave to the hard disk.
FreeBSD appears to detect things best this way.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo