Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:28:56 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP RST attack

On Apr 20, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> writes:
>> http://www.uniras.gov.uk/vuls/2004/236929/index.htm
>
> The advisory grossly exaggerates the impact and severity of this
> fea^H^H^Hbug.  The attack is only practical if you already know the
> details of the TCP connection you are trying to attack, or are in a
> position to sniff it.  The fact that you can attack a TCP connection
> which passes through a network you have access to sniff should not be
> a surprise to anyone; the remaining cases require spoofing of a type
> which egress filtering would prevent, if only people would bother
> implementing it.

My take on this is pretty close to yours: this isn't a new=20
vulnerability and it's difficult to perform this type of attack under=20
most circumstances without being able to sniff the traffic going by. =20
(Basicly, sending a RST is a simple form of data injection via the=20
classic man-in-the-middle attack.  ACKs and RSTs count as data, too. =20
:-)

Egress filtering is a fine idea, but I don't see that it would help=20
much in this case.  Ingress filtering-- ie, traffic from IP block=20
x.x.x.x/yy must come via interface Z-- and blocking source-routing=20
would seem to be more helpful.

It's not clear to me that this advisory is particularly relevant to=20
FreeBSD in the sense that there is some change that ought to be made at=20=

the OS-level to mitigate against such attacks: using IPsec, SSL port=20
forwarding, and such are already well-supported under FreeBSD.

Using a tiny window (say ethernet MTU or smaller) would greatly=20
increase the amount of work an attacker has to do to create a valid RST=20=

to zap an open connection, admittedly at the cost of adding a lot of=20
latency to such TCP connections.  Hmm, how about a mechanism that would=20=

let one control the maximum TCP window size the system will permit on a=20=

per-host or per-network-block basis?

--=20
-Chuck