Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:11:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serial port overload!

I love my FreeBSD box.  Oh, sure, I go to my Macintosh when I do graphics work,
and I go to my NT box when I feel the urge to lose some hair, but the machine
that does the most work around here is the FreeBSD box, mostly because the NT
box has shown itself to be inadequate at *so* many things.  For example, one of
the things I was planning on using the NT box for was as a print server, but it
turns out that it dumbs down the output (without telling you, of course), so
the nice 600 dpi output from the Macintosh becomes 300 dpi after going through
the NT box.

(This has, by the way, been a constant problem with NT.  Either it won't let
anything but NT or Win95 boxes talk to it, or it makes things stupid.  This is
why my FreeBSD box has become so central to my little computer lab here at
home.)

So I have an HP LaserJet 6MP, a PostScript printer.  It has two Centronics-
style parallel ports (the normal B, and the smaller C connector) and one
Macintosh 8-pin DIN connector, which I assume is a serial connector.  The
parallel ports are bidirectional, but FreeBSD doesn't support those yet.  And
the two serial ports on the FreeBSD box are already taken up:  one serial mouse
(I couldn't get a bus mouse to work), and one modem.

Hence, my request for advice.  I could try to get a bus mouse to work, but I
was unable to last time, and I'd hate to waste my time with that, especially as
I also want to eventually add a UPS to the FreeBSD box, and the basic problem
---not enough serial ports---would just come back.

So I'm considering getting one of those Boca six-port things, or STB four-port
things.  Unfortunately, I don't know if I have any IRQs left over (not being
that versed in PC hardware), and I haven't seen *any* RJ45->8-pin DIN
connectors.  Has anybody already run into this situation?  If so, how did you
resolve it, and what's your current configuration?

Thanks in advance.

				---Ken McGlothlen
				   mcglk@serv.net
				   mcglk@interscapes.com