Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 00:25:38 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Stuart Henderson <sh@eclipse.net.uk>
Cc:        "James A.Taylor" <jataylor@xmission.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: user ppp, getty and automatic baud rate detection

> > I just tried logging in via a regular dial-up
> > terminal application rather than ppp and found
> > that at 19200 I get a login prompt however at
> > other speeds all I get is garbage characters.
>
> okay, your modem is set to switch com port speed to the
> actual line speed. I would take a wild guess that it may have
> been used in a wildcat or pcboard bbs before to have been
> set in that way :) You'll need to play with the nonvolatile
> ram settings in the modem and get it to use the more
> standard "fixed com port speed" config and then std.115200
> should be fine. Until you do this, I think the only speeds
> you'll ever see are 300/1200/2400/4800/9600/19200.

Once the speed has been put in /etc/ttys (and init HUPd), you also
need to connect to the modem (you can use ppp in command mode) at
the same speed and do a few ATs to train it to that speed.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>