Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:29:34 -0500
From:      C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
To:        Igor Vinokurov <igor@ibank.ru>
Cc:        Sergio@ibank.ru, Lenzi@ibank.ru, <lenzi@bsi.com.br>, questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DBMS front-end

>>>>> "Igor" == Igor Vinokurov <igor@ibank.ru> writes:

Igor> re, Could you suggest to me any DBMS client for FreeBSD? I want
Igor> to use remote SQL server (Informix/MSSQL/etc) from by FreeBSD
Igor> box.  Possible?

Whether this is appropriate for your application is up to you. There
isn't enough information here to really say for sure. But here goes.

For many cases of DBMS access, I like to write Perl code that will
perform whatever functions you're looking for. Very often in my case,
it's a good idea to put a web-based front end on everything, so that
users can have a nice point-and-click type of view of their data,
generate custom reports, etc.

There's a lot of good stuff in Perl that will make development of such
things pretty painless. You'll want to check out the Perl modules,
specifically the ones for database access, and CGI scripting.

http://www.perl.com/perl/

--
Matt Curtin  cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com  Megasoft, Inc   Chief Scientist
http://www.research.megasoft.com/people/cmcurtin/   I speak only for myself.