Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 10:24:00 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@poboxes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: man broken -- mdoc error: end-macro (.em) ...

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 02:59:31AM +0200, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running -stable (almost) updated on a week basis.  so, after a
> fresh cvsup (May 17 02:41 GMT-1) and a make buildworld, installworld,
> the man command is broken as it was in -current a few days (weeks?)
> ago.
>
> # man pwd
> Formatting page, please wait...mdoc error: end-macro (.em) respecification is not allowed. (#41)
>             Should this have been `.Em ...'?
> User Abort.
> Done.

This maybe because you have used -DNOCLEAN[DIR] in buildworld.
Show the -current mailing list archives for a detailed description
of this particular problem.  When you see a major update from your
cvsup logs, it's better to start from scratch, without -DNOCLEAN[DIR].

> also, I've found a lot of garbage files from older installations.
> they are all named /usr/share/tmac/tmac.* while newer files seems to
> be named share/tmac/.old/*.tmac, same assertion about locale
> directories and /usr/bin/{grohtml,psbb},
> /usr/share/groff_font/devps/dingbats.{,r}map and
> /usr/share/groff_font/devhtml.
>
> it would be interresting to clean those older files on upgrade or
> installworld. there are other garbage files not related to groff such
> as /usr/lib/lib{crypto,ssl,gcc{_pic,_r,_pic_r}}.so.1,
> /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach/..., etc.
>
> any tricks except the following commands ?

`rm -rf /usr/share/tmac /usr/share/groff_font' before `make installworld'
will do the trick.

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,