Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:37:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 5000e vs. Chembook 3015A vs. Compal N38W2 (N30

On 22-Feb-01 Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> John Baldwin writes:
>| problem for you.  If you want to run -current, then you can run ACPI on
>| the 5000e to get some things like battery status and temperature reporting
>| (with some patches I hope to commit soon) and also things like the power
>| button turning the machine off after performing a clean shutdown, etc.
>
> Okay I got a question, how do you read the temperature and stuff like
> that?  Is there a userland program that does this?  I see some sysctl
> stuff:
>   m201% sysctl -a | grep -i acpi
>   debug.acpi_debug_layer: 0
>   debug.acpi_debug_level: 0
>   hw.acpi.power_button_state: S4B
>   hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
>   hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S1
>   m201%
>
> and man -k acpi only list:
>   m201% man -k acpi
>   acpiconf(8) - control ACPI power management
>   acpidump(8)              - dump ACPI tables
>   m201%
>
> of which neither as far as I can tell displays this info.  Is there
> a generic program to display and deal with ACPI stuff?  I guess I could
> write a specific application to read this stuff but I thought there
> would be userland tools like apm that would just dump things out.
>
> Confused,
>
> Doug (ACPI Challenged) A.

It's still in progress.  First, you need
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/acpi.patch to fix some bugs in the ec and
cmbat drivers and to add an ioctl to the tz driver to allow reading of the
system temp.  Then you want to grab the contents of the
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/acpi/ directory and build the two commands.  The
'batt' command will tell you the battery status (the time remaning is b0rked
though casue the i5000e has a bug) and the 'health' commadn currently only
displays the system temperature.