Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:44:47 -0700
From:      "Clayton Webb" <cwebb@harborside.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cyrix

I am currenty trying to switch to FreeBSD for my main OS. I do not think
that the Cyrix processor is compatitable with it. Here's the problem. I put
in the boot disk with the boot.flp file on it. I boot up my computer. It
goes though it's auto install, starts decompressing the kernel and then
reboots. It does this everytime. I know the disk is not bad because I tried
it on my friends AMD 486/133. It booted fine. I know it is not a device
conflict because I unplugged everything in the computer except the video
card. Yet, the computer rebooted everytime. I even did a complete and total
format of my hard drive. I tried again. Still it rebooted. I know that my
memory is good so there's no problem there. Everything in my computer is
good. I thought Cyrix processors were supposed to be compatitable with
everything current. This version of FreeBSD is 2.2.2, the latest version. I
went to their web site, they claim that it is compatitable with Cyrix. The
only people i've found with a UNIX type system, running a Cyrix processor
is when previously they had installed it when they had an Intel processor.
But I can not find anyone tyring to do a fresh install from a Cyrix. This
is getting very annoying. I cannot install Lynux. Redhat or slackware
editions either. The computer reads from the floppy and then just stops. I
have to manually reset it every time too. I know those disks aren't bad
because i tried them on my friends 486/133 AMD and it booted fine. All I
want is a UNIX OS. I cannot type any command line peramaters in the Lynux
installation process because no prompt come up. My computer just hangs. So
I belive that the problem is the Cyrix processor. I would like to know what
your answer is, or if you could please e-mail me a special boot image so i
can boot up to any UNIX type OS. Or if you could give me the address for a
special kernel I would appericate that too. I also know that the problem
doesn't not lie in the motherboard because it also claims compatitablity
with the UNIX type OS. So...please tell me what to do..I am looking forward
to the 5 day download =) Thank you.

Clayton Webb

cwebb@harborside.com