Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:43:21 +0100
From:      HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Victor Cheung <victorch@softwareguaranty.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Trying to install 3.1 Release...

Hello,

you have to install the FreeBSD bootmanager on at least the first
primary disk **and** the FreeBSD boot disk (there is a bootinst.exe file
in the \tools direcory just for this purpose)

Then, you will have a menu while booting :
F1 : DOS
F5 : disk2

press F5 and you will be able to boot FreeBSD.

	TfH

Victor Cheung wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to setup the following on my home PC:
>
> primary master:         6.4GB IDE with Windows 95B (FAT32)  (C:\)
> secondary master:       6.4GB IDE (FAT32) -- storage drive (D:\)
> secondary slave:        3.2GB IDE (165) FreeBSD 3.1 Release (previously
> my E:\ drive)
>
> I've tried twice already (via FTP install), but I can't get it to work
> the way I want.  I would like to be able to choose at boot-time which OS
> to run (Win95 or FreeBSD).
>
> The first time I installed FreeBSD, I chose to dedicate the entire
> secondary slave drive to FreeBSD (ie. "dangerously dedicated"), only to
> realize at the end of installing, I wasn't prompted about installing any
> boot manager.  And as expected, my computer loaded Win95 as usual upon
> reboot (only difference is that it can't see the secondary drive
> anymore).
>
> The second time installing FreeBSD, I chose the other "true partition"
> option (ie. it split the physical 3.2GB drive into 3 partitions: first
> and last partitions very small, the middle partition for FreeBSD).  This
> time I was prompted about installing a boot manager and I chose the
> option that would do this (the other two options were install a normal
> MBR, and not to do anything at all, or something like that).  Anyhow,
> after installing and rebooting, my computer loaded into Win95 again with
> no trace of any 'boot manager'.
>
> My questions now are:  Does the install process assume the user will
> install on the primary master drive only? (ie. partition the C: drive)

[snip]