Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 00:04:50 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Lefteris Tsintjelis" <lefty@asda.gr>
To:        <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        <lefty@asda.gr>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GRE tunnel kernel support for SQUID and Cisco (wccp v1)

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 04:33:40PM +0200, Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:
>> It would make a nice addition to the kernel this patch found at
>> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html. I included it with
>> some very minor fixes to compile under 4.7-stable.
>
> The GRE support in the original Squid patch was an ugly hack. I wrote
> and submitted a driver to Bill Fenner for GRE many, many months ago.
> AFAICT, someone imported the NetBSD GRE driver into -CURRENT anyway.

Still, under some tests I just run, FreeBSD with the squid hack seems to
do a better job compared to linux wccp enabled boxes servicing quite a few
hundred requests per minute with very similar hardware configurations and
I'd rather stay with -stable. Stability and speed is a must for me and I
haven't found anything else yet.