Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:10:07 GMT
From:      Joe Holden <joe@rewt.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/169612: dns/powerdns:  Fix botan/cryptopp dependency, make it configurable

The following reply was made to PR ports/169612; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joe Holden <joe@rewt.org.uk>
To: Ralf van der Enden <ralf.vanderenden@deltares.nl>
Cc: <bug-followup@freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:04:01 +0100

 On 2012-07-12 08:52, Ralf van der Enden wrote:
 > Hi Joe,
 >
 > I've talked to the author of powerdns and if you disable botan and
 > cryptopp, pdns will run at half speed when doing DNSSEC stuff.
 > Therefore I'm not in favor of making them configurable. Large DNS
 > installations might run into serious performance issues. Or is there
 > another reason you want them configurable I'm not aware of ?

 The default should probably be on, but I added that anyway to avoid
 pulling in more dependencies if they aren't being used (e.g; if you
 don't use DNSSEC), or don't have sufficient requirement for it.

 > Checking out your patch I did find out there's a bug in powerdns'
 > botan 1.8 support when using ECDSA crypto. Your botan patch
 > unfortunately doesn't fix things, but I've upgraded botan to 1.10.2
 > on
 > my local system and that does seem to correct the issue. When I have
 > some more time I will see if the port-maintainer of botan is
 > interested in creating a 1.10 port besides the now existing 1.8 one.

 The problem with the botan port is that it didn't enable the correct
 module and also deleted some headers after install - on my machines
 where I use powerdns/botan the patch does allow powerdns to be built
 correctly and the ECDSA headers for botan are present.

 Does this not work on your machine?

 > Best regards,
 >
 > Ralf van der Enden

 Thanks,