Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:00:41 -0600
From:      Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Trouble installing py-sqlite3 port for python3.x

List,

I'm *guessing* this is more of FreeBSD problem than a python one, so I'll a=
sk
on this list. I'm trying to import sqlite3 in python3.2 on FreeBSD
8.1-RELEASE and ran
into trouble:

    $ python3.2
    >>> import sqlite3
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.2/sqlite3/__init__.py", line 23, in <mod=
ule>
        from sqlite3.dbapi2 import *
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.2/sqlite3/dbapi2.py", line 26, in <modul=
e>
        from _sqlite3 import *
    ImportError: No module named _sqlite3

I assumed I was missing some operating system dependent sqlite3 package. Wh=
en I
attempt to install the 'ports/databases/py-sqlite3' port, it worked but it
installed it for python2.6. (Importing sqlite3 works in 2.6) There are no
config options for this port to select a python version. Similarly there's =
no
sqlite3 related config options for the python3.2 port.

I then tried to use the python specific install tool, 'pip-3.2' to install =
the
python module:

    # pip-3.2 install pysqlite

Unfortunately, it fails:

    Downloading/unpacking pysqlite
      Real name of requirement pysqlite is pysqlite
      Downloading pysqlite-2.6.3.tar.gz (74Kb): 74Kb downloaded
      Running setup.py egg_info for package pysqlite
        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "<string>", line 14, in <module>
          File "/usr/local/lib/python3.2/codecs.py", line 300, in decode
            (result, consumed) =3D self._buffer_decode(data, self.errors, f=
inal)
        UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe4 in position=
 98:
        invalid continuation byte
        Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:

)

    UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe4 in position 98:
    invalid continuation byte

    Command python setup.py egg_info failed with error code 1
    Storing complete log in /root/.pip/pip.log

The complete log file doesn't reveal much else. My environment doesn't cont=
ain
any python env var. I don't have any python config files overriding install
locations or anything. My /etc/make.conf file contains no python variables.=
can display UTF-8 characters on the console just fine e.g:

    $ pytho3.2
    >>> chr(0xe4)
    '=E4'

Suggestions, thoughts, ideas?