Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:35:59 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org> <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org> <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with AMD64 and 8 GB RAM?

On Mar 31, 2005, at 3:08 PM, Alan Jay wrote:

> We did some tests with the latest 5.3-STABLE / 5.4-PRERELEASE and
> still found
> the same issues when using a mySQL database heavily hit over the
> Ethernet
> controller.  Our final tests limited the memory on boot-up to 4Gb and
> the bug
> is still there so we think it may well be some interaction with the
> Ethernet
> controller.  The motherboard we have has a BroadcomBCM5704C
> 10/100/1000 based
> card on board.

I have seen similar with Postgres 8.0 database.  Occasionally I'll see
a bge0 timout + reset error logged, but many times I'll just see a
"socket closed unexpectedly" type of message from postgres.  So far,
every 5 days or so, the machine freezes during heavy DB reporting over
the net.  I have a S2881 mobo, though, with 4GB.

I had another identical machine which was reporting in the BIOS that
the memory size changed during normal operations, which was very
scary...

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806