Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 12:13:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Myers <ccrider@whiterose.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BusLogic 946c Problems

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Robert Myers wrote:

> > > I have a 486 AMD 100, with 32 megs of ram, and a Buslogic 946c
> > > controller BIOS revision 4.96F.
> > > The IRQ on the PCI Slot is 11, and the IO address when I boot BSD and
> > > configure the kernel is 330
> > >
> > >  I cannot seem to format the disk, an IBM model.
> > >
> > > I get random lockups when the newfs starts and not necassarily on the
> > > root partition either....sometimes it locks up during the newfs for usr.
> >
> 	I have no problem checking the cabling and termination, which I
> will do.  But it is sort of puzzling why this all works under ms-dos.

Because DOS doesn't hammer the device as hard as FreeBSD does, and it
probably uses a driver written my BusLogic and not us.

> > Are there any errors reported in the system log?
>
> This is when I install FreeBSD.....I do not think there is a system log,
> is there?

You can check the boot messages just after the configuration screen.  If
they go by too fast wait for the main menu to pop up then hit scroll lock,
then use the arrow keys to scroll back.

You should see the bt1 probe up, then the disks listed after it.