Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:33:39 +0200
From:      Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein@gmail.com>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Journaling UFS with gjournal.

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> Hello.
>=20
> For the last few months I have been working on gjournal project.

Cool Stuff!

> Reading. grep -r on two src/ directories in parallel:
> UFS:		84s
> UFS+SU:		138s
> gjournal(1):	102s
> gjournal(2):	89s
>=20
> As you can see, even on one disk, untaring eight src.tgz is two times
> faster than UFS+SU. I've no idea why gjournal is faster in reading.

The UFS+SU score doesn't seem right. Why do SU have a negative impact on
read performance? Is it solely because of the atime updates?

Ulrich Spoerlein
--=20
 PGP Key ID: 20FEE9DD				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: AEC9 AF5E 01AC 4EE1 8F70  6CBD E76E 2227 20FE E9DD
Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
Don't know. Don't care.

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC--