Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:05:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tim Zingelman <zingelman@fnal.gov>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: broken pipes on make world

> Mike Tancsa wrote:
> > >Lemme guess - full disk?
> > No, I have plenty of disk space on all 4 machines.  I didnt see this on
> > builds from Friday. Only today.
> Green made a number of changes to OpenSSH on Saturday. I only have
> problems if I log in and do a make world using ssh with those changes.
> What is interesting is to use both telnet and ssh to do the following.
> The output from the ssh session is seriously truncated when it is
> doing some of the traverses.
>
> cd /usr/src/share/man
> makewhatis -v /usr/share/man
>
> It didn't have problems with man9 but there are 5 broken pipes
> traversing man8.
> Kent

I just checked out, built, installed, & mergemastered...

# uname -a
FreeBSD xxx.xxx.xxx 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Mon Dec 25
14:22:10 CST 2000     tez@xxx.xxx.xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DELLQUAD  i386

I can not duplicate your problem...

$ ssh xxx.xxx.xxx
xxx@xxx's password: xxx
$ su toor
Password: xxx
# cd /usr/src/share/man
# makewhatis -v /usr/share/man
Maybe /usr/share/man/man3/heap.3.gz is not a manpage

The above message is the only warning or error I get.

  - Tim