Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 12:35:44 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Gilbert Kaplan <gkaplan@castle.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp -> browser

Gilbert Kaplan wrote:

> I have a pnp modem installed . When executing user ppp under 2.2.8 I am
> able to connect to my isp where the user and password are accepted. From
> that point I am at a loss as to how to proceed. I have tried invoking
> lynx at the ppp prompt;

You don't start your browser from the ppp prompt. As you're using Lynx
am I right in thinking you're not running X?. If this is the case,
change to a different vt (Alt-Fn) and run Lynx there.

> but in fact I don't understand the relationship
> of the browser task to the parent process .

If a ppp connection is established (i.e. the ``PPP'' in the ppp prompt
is _all_ upper case) then all you need to do is enter a URL. If that
doesn't work, check that all the peripheral config files for ppp are
setup, /etc/host.conf, /etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup. The
last one might not be necessary depending on the ppp source code version
you used. If you're running the ppp that came on the CD then you will
need it.

> Is there a log that would
> help me correlate my keyboard input with activity over the communication
> line? How is the browser process associated with the communication line?
> ( does it involve an configuration file or is it know by default as a
> result of being a spawned process ?)

Maybe someone will give a more technical asnswer to this, but the
association is through TCP/IP, the info in the files mentioned above
define the address of the DNS nameserver(s) and setup the route to them.
That's the beauty of Unix, TCP and stuff is such a fundamental part of
the OS that these things work automagically :-)

HTH.

  Q. How many Software Engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
  A. None. It's a hardware problem