Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:04:22 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        othermark <atkin901@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: polling for sio?

othermark wrote this message on Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:17 -0700:
> I'm just looking into DEVICE_POLLING.  Would it be difficult to add polling
> functionality to uart or sio?  My main objective would be to get rid of
> silo overflows in the sio device for shared interrupt devices.

I would say that more time would be better spent on either lowering
your fifo levels (to make the interrupts trigger earlier), or fix
sio so that COM_MULTIPORT (for shared interrupts) doesn't poll all
sio devices, and instead it keeps track of which devices need to be
polled for each interrupt (and possible use the AST/4 register to
decide which ports to query)....

uart already has most of this logic, but I haven't written an isa
attachment for it to make use of the interrupt routing logic..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579