Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:15:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ian Clendaniel <clendaniel@conectiv.com>
To:        Josh Tiefenbach <josh@zipperup.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, josh@zipperup.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq RAID controllers and mirrored boot disks

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Josh Tiefenbach wrote:
> Is there anyone who has installed, booted, and successfully used FreeBSD on a
> Compaq Proliant using Compaq's SMART RAID controllers in an environment in
> which the boot drives were mirrored?

Yes...I have a ProLiant 1600 with the 2DH raid controller with 3 9gigs
running raid 5.  All system partitions are contained in this raid group.
In order to accomplish this I had to put a small scsi disk on the onboard
controller, install onto this smaller disk, recompile the kernel to
include the ida drivers.  Once the machine recognized the raid array I
then partitioned as I wanted and moved the filesystems (find . -print |
cpio -pdvm /mnt/newfilesys).  It took a little finessing with boot
device orders and the system partition but the machine hasn't had any
problems...  If I was doing it again I'd probably throw another disk in and
mirror as the performance is probably hurt a little with raid 5.  One thing
to remember is that it probably is a good idea to keep your swap off the
mirror as it would kill your performance...I just kept the scsi disk on the
onboard controller for swap.  You could just as easily use the raid
utility and set aside a swap disk that isn't mirrored.

Oh...and the machine is running 3.2

--Ian