Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:54:41 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads question

Jake Hamby wrote:
[...]
> Anyway, just wanted to solicit any advice on the best thread library to use
> for a FreeBSD (or Linux) port of my toolkit, when it is finished.  I've
> decided to start with a Solaris version, simply because I have access to it
> (on SPARC and x86), and it has VERY good documentation on the thread
> functions supported, the differences between Solaris and POSIX threads, and
> the thread-safeness of each library function.  IMHO, this is one area where
> FreeBSD is very weak.  Comments?

Try FreeBSD's libc_r. It is in -current and not built by default. It has
all the things you mention except semaphores (which can be implemented
with a condition variable and a mutex). Even the non-POSIX suspend/resume
functions are there! They were added to support the JDK port.

Your comment on thread-safeness for the libc functions is valid, though. 8-(

Can't comment about Linux 'cause I've never used it (and due to GPL, never
will).

> -- Jake

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, 119 Cecil Street, South Melbourne Vic 3205, Australia