Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:29:37 +0100
From:      Joachim.Jaeckel@arcor.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   multiuser -> singleuser -> multiuser switch

Hello,

how could I turn the running system into singleuser state? (It seems that
*kill -HUP 1* doesn't work and shutdown -k leaves the system in multiuser
state).

And how could I bring the system back into multiuser again, even if I used
*shutdown -k*  (do I've to reboot, or is there another way?)

Does *cron* still work in singleuser state and how could I inform
samba-users of this machine, that the system is going to *nologin* or
*singleuser*?

Sorry for this bunch of questions, but I ask this, because I'd like to
install a backup-script for the most important data of a server which
offers mainly samba-file-share-services and I would like to make the backup
of the data when no one else is on the system.

Thanks in advance,
Joachim.Jaeckel@arcor.net