Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:46:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark D Smith <msmith@revolution.3-cities.com>
To:        gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov (Glenn Johnson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC200 SCSI controller

> I am thinking about buying an ASUS SC200 SCSI controller card. However,
> I have read on this list that there must be BIOS support for the card.
> Is this correct? If so, how do I know if I have support? I have an AMI
> BIOS on a Pentium PCI motherboard. I checked my BIOS settings and could
> not find anything related; but I also checked my system at work, which
> has an AWARD BIOS and could not find anything related to SCSI there
> either. I think I remember reading that the AWARD BIOS had NCR SCSI
> support.  I am not at the system in question at this time so I can not
> provide more details. If I do not have BIOS support, what other
> inexpensive but good SCSI cards could I look at? Thank you.

OK, I'm currently running an Asus SC200 on an Asus pentium motherboard
but I've played with it a bit.

OK, If you want to BOOT from a scsi device then you need SCSI BIOS. If,
like me, you're booting from IDE and are going to use the card as a
secondary controller for SCSI tape drives, SCSI CDROMs or non root
device hard drives, then not having the BIOS is fine.

My system is currently booting from an IDE drive mounted as / and
has a SCSI HDD mounted as /usr and the SCSI BIOS support is turned
off on my system..

RE: award bios.  not ALL Award BIOSs have the SCSI BIOS built in.

Good luck.