Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 14:18:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Fredriksen <fredriks@Mcs.Net>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        peter@spinner.dialix.com.au, bob@luke.pmr.com, lars@fredriks-1.pr.mcs.net, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recent (last two days) smp kernel is hanging for me

Steve Passe writes:

> ---
> So to summarize the failure on Lar's system:
>
> 	I just booted the SMP kernel and broke into the debugger when
> it got hung (after saying that all 2 cpus are online). Well it isn't
> actually the kernel per se that is hung. It is in the smp_idleloop.
>
> The problem is that one of the rc scripts is running swapon and it
> is hung - on wait channel 0xf0b60a00 (i'll try to find out what this
> is)
>
> I have 2 scsi controllers in my system; a 2940 and a 2944.

This morning when I booted the SMP kernel with the lock fixes I let
it sit for about 10 minutes or so after it got hung and I did get
error messages from the scsi driver where it said that it timed out
	"Timeout SCB handled by another timeout"
on the controller that has the swapdevices on it which to me indicates
that the kernel does not see the interrupt back from the controller board.
Now I am making one hell of an assumption here, and that is that the
firmware download and initialization of the board succeeded. The dmesg
did indicate that. Now I'll do one more test and that is to comment
out the swapon in /etc/rc. I expect that if I do that, the machine will
just fail to mount any of the file systems that is connected through
the second (ahc0) controller. Now from what I can see, ahc0 is sharing
the interrupt with vga and ethernet controllers, even though they seem
to be steered to different pins(?) by means of pci0.19.0, pci.18.0, and
so forth.

With respect to the request of getting the kernel messages through
the serial port, that is going to take some time. I first need to get
the other box up and running :-)

Lars

Lars Fredriksen		fredriks@mcs.com		(home)
			lars@fredriks-2.pr.mcs.net	(home-home)