Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2007 05:35:16 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        chris.eubank@gov.bc.ca, william.parr@gov.bc.ca
Subject:   Coincidence

This is one of those things that just make you go... hmmmm?

I had a couple of Maxtor 5T040H4 40 GB IDE drives fail on me within days of
each other. The first drive spent most of its life as my production system
boot drive until I replaced it with a 120 GB a year ago. It then spent it's
remaining life in my XP machine as a slave IDE drive. Strangely it would
hang the IDE bus.

The second of the two Maxtor drives spent its life in various FreeBSD
machines here, lately being my /opt in my media machine in my bedroom. It
didn't hang the IDE bus. It responded to id requests from the BIOS but when
it came time to read /usr/local or /usr/X11R6, nada, nothing. The
directories were there but all the files returned with I/O errors, UDMA
errors in syslog.

The one drive in front of me has a manufacture date of 21APR2001. That's a
long life for a disk drive. May both drives rest in peace.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>

			e**(i*pi)+1=0