Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:48:10 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 802.11 with best Apple compatibility?

* Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org> [010914 18:39]:
> Brooks Davis wrote:

> > > With WEP encryption turned off they both work together fine.  I've
> > > seen many used in mixed enviornments.  With WEP turned on, they
> > > are completely incomptable.  The silver cards do a 40 bit encryption,
> > > and the gold cards do a 128 bit encryption, and it seems the gold
> > > cards can't be stepped back to 40 bit.
> >
> > Unless Apple is mangling the firmware or someone screwed up the driver,
> > this is false.  Gold Lucent cards are capable of 40-bit crypto.
>
> Aren't the airport cards just plain old Silver Lucent cards?  If so,
> then
> either the Gold or the Silver should work fine.
> In fact I know the silver works fine because I have an Airport at home
> that
> I talk to with a Silver card.  There's a FreeBSD port that lets you
> configure the box from your machine.  In Windowsland there's a program
> called FreeBase, and of course the Airport comes with Mac tools bundled.

Thnaks a lot for the confirmation - for the record, I'm trying
to replace a basestation, not communicate with one.

But as long as Lucents are compatible, I 'll go for one of those..
(I only need WEP while I get a crash course in IPSec :) )

I take it the PCI PCMCIA adapters are still unsupported?
(on 4-STABLE)

--
Did you know that if you took all the economists in the world and lined
them up end to end, they'd still point in the wrong direction?