Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:36:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.rog>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rumors of 4.x death greatly exagerated (was: Re: Anyone maintaining / care about 4.x anymore ?)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Since I'm under the impression that 4.10 is/was meant to be 'end of
> line', is anyone looking at / dealing with bug reports for 4.x anymore?

Rumors of 4.x's death are greatly exagerated.  We plan to continue
supporting 4.x well into the future with security fixes, stability fixes,
and at least one additional release (which would imply additional
features, wot?).  The reality is that even if we did "end of life" 4.x, it
would remain in use for years to come, and we're hardly going to ignore
that :-).  If you look at the FreeBSD Release Engineering web page, you'll
see that 4.11 is on the impending release list, but doesn't yet have a
schedule assigned.  Right now we're largely focussing on getting 5.3 ready
to go out the door.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research