Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 20:41:52 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "William W. Crook" <talos@ns4.tecinfo.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem on com 4

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 12:31:31PM -0600, William W. Crook wrote:

> > Is it a PnP modem? If so, how have you "set it for COM4"?
> >

> No.  It has some switches on it that I presumably set for COM4.  The guy
> who was helping me works with the particular brand of computer and modem I
> have, so I'm going buy what he said.

I take it that he's a DOS/Win guy as you're using DOS terminology (COM4).

> > COM4 uses IRQ3 (shared with COM2) whereas the default IRQ for sio3 is
> > 9. Is this the problem?
>
> Ok.  I just set it for sio3 for irq 3.  Seeing if it works...
>
> Sio3 not found at 0x2e8.  Now we get into the newbie questions.  How would
> I go about fixing that?  Hopefully by the time you get back to me I'll
> have found it myself.  Thanks.

OK, but by default sio1 uses IRQ3, so you'll have to make sure
there's no conflicts. These are the defaults:

  DOS/Windows      FreeBSD
COM1  4   0x3f8  sio0  4   0x3f8
COM2  3   0x2f8  sio1  3   0x2f8
COM3  4   0x3e8  sio2  5   0x3e8
COM4  3   0x2e8  sio3  9   0x2e8

If you still have problems send the output from dmesg.