Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:39:41 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bt848 Missing frames fix

Thanks for the debugging tips.  I haven't nailed down a pattern yet other
than the few times its occurred, I think I've been typing in a remote login
(ssh actually, connected to a machine over a slip connection).

No big fly-by text transfers going on so this piece wasn't heavy on the
interrupts.  fxtv at the time is up with continuous display on at its
default NTSC size of 320x240.  VMode is 555 weight 16bpp, so its DMAing to
the frame buffer; no CPU color conversion load.  S3Virge driver, XFree
3.2A.

Yes, I am running IDE hard drives off an on-motherboard PCI IDE controller,
so that can under some circumstances give higher interrupt latency, but
when the problem occurs, I'm not doing anything to access the disks, so I
doubt that's a factor.  Also, my dial-up link is serial, but I'm not doing
anything but typing so my 16550 UARTs probably aren't even kicking in much
less generating but a few interrupts per second.

I don't know what of this info, if anything, is relevent to producing the
problem because I can kick of fxtv, kick of a "find /" in a local window,
and the same in the remote login window, simultaneously--try to beat the
death out of the system--and I see absolutely no problem.

I'll keep an eye out for other clues.

Randall