Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 18:29:30 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVSup 14.1.4 BETA version is now available

I'm making available a beta test version of CVSup for those mirrors
site maintainers who want it.  It addresses a few issues that have
cropped up lately, some related to robustness.  Of particular
interest, it solves the client hangs that have happened recently
when the server host has crashed in mid-update.

Most of the new functionality has undergone testing for several
weeks, and I don't think there are any significant problems with
it.  The reason this isn't a full-blown release is that I still
have a few other features I want to add.

I recommend that mirror maintainers upgrade to this version, and
modify their periodic update scripts by adding either the "-1"
option (if updating hourly) or "-r 2" (if updating less often) to
the cvsup invocation.  This will prevent your update jobs from
hanging forever if the master site goes down in mid-update (as has
been happening all too often lately).

The distribution is available from:

  ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/CVSup/BETA/
  ftp://ftp.polstra.com/pub/FreeBSD/CVSup/BETA/
  ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/FreeBSD/CVSup/BETA/	(soon)

in the usual files:

  MD5 (cvsup-14.1.4.tar.gz) = 148614c86673ac155f2aa823e177c1d2
  MD5 (cvsup-bin-14.1.4.tar.gz) = 70dae6673b0ff942bc425b7276b999fc
  MD5 (cvsupd-bin-14.1.4.tar.gz) = 7a603cc46589f7186915bd19082a5f15

Sorry, there is no port or package for this version.

Here are the changes since 14.1.1:

  Added an inactivity timeout to the client, enabled only in non-GUI
  mode.  If 15 minutes pass without any network I/O, the update is
  terminated with a transient error (so that it will be retried).
  This is useful when the client is run from cron.

  Added a new "-r maxRetries" command line option for the client,
  to cause it to give up after the specified number of retries.
  This is a generalization of the old "-1" option, which is equivalent
  to "-r 0".

  Added checking to ensure that the client-side "checkouts*" file
  is sorted properly.  CVSup always keeps this file in sorted order.
  But if it gets corrupted such that it is no longer sorted, mass
  deletions can result.  This actually happened on a system that
  had faulty RAM.  A 1-bit error changed a "/" to something else.

  Added checksumming and fixups for all kinds of file updates.
  Formerly, this was done only for updates that modified (edited)
  existing files.  Now, even files that are sent verbatim are
  checked.

  Fixed a bug in searching for the revision in effect on a certain
  date.  Example:  Searching on the trunk.  The head is 2.2.  The
  selected revision is 1.7.  Because the first components were
  different, the code erroneously considered the file to be dead
  on the given date.  The fix treats the trunk as a special case.
  The bug affected just a few files, and only when checkout mode
  was used on the main branch with "date=yy.mm.dd.hh.mm.ss".

  Added support for the "execute" keyword, for executing server-specified
  commands on the client when certain files are updated.

  Added new client options "-e" and "-E", to enable and disable
  the "execute" feature.

  Fixed the server's logging so that it now works to specify "-l
  /dev/stdout" on the command line.

  The necessary "libmd" sources are now included in the distribution,
  so it is no longer necessary to get them separately and install
  them.

John