Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:27:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
Subject:   Re: Support for ITK?

>From the keyboard of Kevin Sheehan:

> Specifically I was looking at the ITK ix1 micro (ISA, passive, BRI).

No ITK cards are supported by isdn4bsd.

I don't know how to translate the german word "Leidensdruck" (a direct
translation would be "suffering pressure" although i doubt this is correct),
but my personal "Leidensdruck" is not high enough, to get any ITK card
supported under i4b.

When you think about the fact, that here in Germany you are able to buy
one or the other of the supported cards for ~100,-DM ( ~60 US$ ), then it
is _much_ easier to go into the shop next door and buy one instead of going
thru the pain of buying an unsupported card, convincing the manufacturer
to give out docs (which is almost impossible), getting (mostly wrong and
incomplete) docs from other souces, and then writing and testing the driver.

A total different picture would be, if someone says: "I've got complete
technical docs and free hardware for card XYZ, i want it being supported,
what do you think, where shall i send it to and how else can i help you ?".

This is one way to get such a card supported, the second way is to write
the driver yourself and the third way is hiring someone to write it for you.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77