Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:13:36 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xpdf can not print via cups if started from firefox

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:38:19 +0100, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 03/08/11 16:51, Warren Block wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, O. Hartmann wrote:
> >
> >> I've got a weird problem here. Very often I download scientific papers
> >> as pdf from protals and they got opened via firefox3 with the
> >> configured propper utility, in this case xpdf. In such a case,
> >> printing is impossible. I hit the print button, a popup shows up with
> >> the configured CUPS printing queue, but hitting OK doesn't have any
> >> effect. The funny thing is: when opening the same PDF (it is stored in
> >> /tmp/) with xpdf by starting xpdf from a terminal, printing on the
> >> same queue works well.
> >
> > In your .xpdfrc, do you specify a full path to the CUPS lpr?
>
> I did now and it hasn't any effect.

Maybe you're experiencing a caching problem? I would guess
that as you stated there is a temporary file, this should
not happen (in relation to Firefox) there should at least
be an error message.

Did you try to enter the full command into xpdf's printing
dialog, e. g. "/usr/local/bin/lpr -P<printer>", just in case
the .xpdfrc setting hasn't been read upon program start?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany