Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 11:56:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        green@zone.syracuse.net (Brian Feldman)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing sh for compatibility sake

Hi,

   I sent mail to this list a few months ago... pdksh doesn't run
the tail-end of a pipe in the current shell environment, thus the
following doesn't work as expected:

export FOUND=0
ls | wc -l | while read fcnt; do
   export FOUND=$fcnt
done
echo $FOUND

   So, the comment below might need a slight modification to say
which scripts don't break...  :-)

Thanks!
John