Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 14:15:38 -0400
From:      Larry Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Real UNIX history (was: Congrats to Brett Glass for new BSD hist

On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 12:27 PM, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

>>> That didn't make it free.
>>
>> No, you;re right.  It was the "them not charging for it" that made
>> it free.  8-).
>
> Remind me again -- why was there a flap, across all three BSDs, about
> Darren Reed's "no modification" licensing of IP Filter around a year
> ago?  He never tried to charge for it, did he?  What was that fuss
> about?

Reed clarified his license in regards to the no modification clause.
He did not change a thing.  Now this conflicts with the OpenBSD
philosophy and created a possible conflict with all the *BSD's really.
Net and Free came to an agreement with him on it.  I do not know the
exact particulars (I prefer ipfw so I am not as up to date with ipf).

Well part of the flap was a pissing contest between theo and reed that
basically got out of hand.  Each party was partially right and
partially wrong imho.  Theo had every right to pull it from openbsd,
Reed had every right to license his software how he wanted.

Some urls

http://false.net/ipfilter/2001_06/0078.html

http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/news/story/0,2000025345,20231471,00.htm

HTH