Date:      Wed, 09 Sep 1998 09:57:23 -0400
From:      Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   booting from pccard scsi disk

I have a laptop (running windoze) on which I'd like to be able to boot FreeBSD
for a demo.  I do have an Adaptect SlimSCSI pccard SCSI controller (which
should work with FreeBSD) and a JAZ drive.

Is there a way to boot a kernel (maybe by using fbsdboot.exe) that has / on
the Jaz drive?  It's a chicken-and-egg problem:  the controller doesn't get
recognized until pccardd runs, but that requires a filesystem...

Questions:

1) Has anyone managed to get a SlimSCSI recognized by the aic driver (without
the intervention of pccardd)?  I haven't had any luck yet, but maybe I haven't
figured out the correct IRQ/ ports.

2) Can anyone think of another way to do this?  I have a Real Computer on
which I could even build a custom boot floppy or CDROM but I don't have enough
clues to know exactly what to do.  Can one run a real system with / as an MFS
and /usr, /var, /bin mounted from another disk?

thanks,
andrew