Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:38:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        lutz@donnerhacke.de
Cc:        nc@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How does FreeBSD expect to compete in a DPDK/VPP world?

>> Not that I work at an ISP or tech company in a networking role, I don't.
>> Heck, adding even MPLS support has been on my bucket list for a while, but
>> am too lazy to get started. I do want to move to a networking-based role at
>> $DAYJOB, but we'll see about that.
>
> MPLS is outdated (performance-wise) and (functionally) replaced by vxLan, or
> do I miss something?

No idea what you mean by outdated (performance-wise). Yes, I know the
initial claims for MPLS touted faster packet switching times - but
that hasn't been relevant for many years.

MPLS is about functionality. Yes, there is some functionality overlap
with VXLAN - but the overlap is certainly not complete. Personally,
I'd love to see an MPLS implementation in FreeBSD.