Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 18:27:04 -0700
From:      <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>
Cc:        Dima <dima@nic.mmc.net.ge>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System beeing cracked!

Michael Richards wrote:

> On Fri, 28 May 1999, Dima wrote:
>
> > can hack into my system. He has ordinary account opened. So, he win! And
> > i'am wondering if there are any security holes in 3.1? He login as
> > himself via telnet, then he made him root (but he was not in wheel group
> > and ofcourse did not know root password) and what is more interesting he
> Finding an exploitable suid program would allow this to happen.
>
> > cracked several password. He made all this in 2 houres, and password was
> > minimal 10 symbols lenght, containg different case and digits. I am
> > using MD5 codding, and as I knew it is impossible. Has someone any idea
> I would do 2 things:
> a) take your master.passwd file and run crack on it yourself and see if it
> finds the passwords itself. I played with crack once a long time ago and
> based on what you've said about the cracked password, I belive it is more
> likely that he
> a) broke root
> b) sniffed the passwords
>
> or maybe he shoulder surfed the passwords... I don't believe that md5 can
> be cracked that quickly. I guess it depends on the randomness of the
> password.  "thisissEcur3" might take a week, but crack will still get it.
> I think one of the first rules is to replace [il]=1 e=3 s=5 a=4 and all
> the other commonly substituted letters.

I wrote a password cracking/guessing program that has an option to
do 'leet character substitutions, they're far too well known and thus
not a very good way to make a password secure.  Case-sensitive
alphanumeric random character generation is far more secure, with an
8 character password having over 136.3 trillion possibilities assuming
no repeat characters.