Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 13:34:21 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com (Brandon Gillespie)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP Modem: US Robotics

Brandon Gillespie stands accused of saying:

> I have a pentium system with a PnP bios.  It runs Win95 on one partition
> and I am working on getting FreeBSD on another.  I am having a bit of a
> problem with the modem however.  It is a US Robotics Sportser internal
> PnP modem.  In Win95 I managed to get it working (after frobbing my sound

This is the basic problem.  Being a PnP device it's not actually present
as anything at all.  PnP support is being worked on, but as it's basically
bogus in the extreme progress is not the fastest.

> card config).  Win95 reports it as being configured as:
>
>     COM: 3
>     IRQ: 5
>     Address: 110

*LAUGH*  0x110?  You have got to be joking 8(  sio2 is at 0x3f8.

>     UART: NS 16550AN

I doubt this bit very much.  You may also have to frob the sio driver
source code to handle the sluggishness of response of the emulator
on the card.

... and people wonder why I tell them to buy external modems.  *sigh*