Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 1997 10:54:43 -0500
From:      Shawn Carey <smc@servtech.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        dyson@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone else seen this?

John Polstra wrote:

> > If I run the same executable under GDB, it runs for 10 seconds at the
> > most and then GDB kills it before reporting "Process terminated due to
> > text file modification".  No breakpoints, no nuthin.  Not even a
> > .gdbinit.
> >
> > Now, if I link with -static, the exectuable retains its timestamp, even
> > whe run under GDB, and GDB lets it run peacefully.
>
> It's worth noting that there are hooks between gdb and the dynamic
> linker.  The dynamic linker can tell whether the program is being run
> [...]

Indeed it is.  I just found out today that if I set a breakpoint on the
static binary *before* running the program, I get the same result as
when the binary is lunk dynamically.  Sorry for the confusion on my
part...

Is there anything I can do to help solve this problem?  If someone gave
me a probable starting point, I'd be more than happy to thrash around
with it...

-Shawn