Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:30:26 -0400
From:      "Avery Fay" <averycfay@yahoo.com>
To:        <russ@quist.ca>
Cc:        <root@pukruppa.de>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from the source

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Russell P. Sutherland wrote:
>
> > I've attempting to update several FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.3 systems
> > remotely to 4.4, by first cvsup'ing the current sources and then
> > building the sources. I believe that the install should
> > be done from the console in single user mode. (All based on
> > the "make world" section of Chapter 19, The Cutting Edge
> > from the FreeBSD Handbook)
> They recommend this sequence:
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL
> # make installkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL
> # make installworld

Actually,
recommended would be
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL
# make installkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL
boot to single user
# make installworld
# mergemaster
and finally reboot normally

The idea is that if the kernel doesnt work then going back to the old
kernel is a lot easier than going back to the old world. Also, updating
binaries with lots of daemons running can possibly cause problems. Never
forget mergemaster or things that worked previously may not work anymore
(until you update the configs).

That being said, I used to not reboot into single user and never had a
problem until i screwed up my new kernel config. Luckily, booting the
old kernel with the new world worked well enough to let me recompile the
new kernel.

> > A few questions...
> >
> > 1. Does make buildworld also build the kernel
> No.
> >    or
> >    does one need to perform a make buildkernel
> >    as well
> Yes.
>
> > 2. Do the make installworld, installkernel operations
> >    need to be done in single-user mode? I'm thinking
> >    of a lightly used system
> On my private PC I never had any problems with that.
> But it is not recommended.

booting to single user for install world *IS* recommended.

> > 3. Given a neo-phyte at the helm, is the pre-building from
> >    source method easier that the upgrade option with the
> >    FreeBSD 4.4 CD.
> I don't have the least idea what a neo-phyte is, but
> building sources will take about half a day, installing from
> CD half an hour.

I personally find building from source easier and although I don't have
the numbers I think that there's a good chance it is the more tested
option. As for time, on my athlon 800 with 256M ram (and -j 4) it seems
to take between .75 and 1.5 hours, but I've never tested exactly.

BTW, a neophyte is a beginner.

Avery Fay