Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2012 18:33:41 -0500
From:      Peggy Wilkins <enlil65@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to switch between PHP 5.3/5.4 (either direction) with extensions

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Peggy Wilkins <enlil65@gmail.com> wrote:

> portmaster -o lang/php53-extensions lang/php5-extensions
>
> This replaced the ...-extensions port as expected, and pulled in all
> the 5.3 versions of my selected extensions; but the pulled-in 5.3
> extensions were installed IN ADDITION TO the already installed 5.4
> ones.
>
> What I ended up with is all my selected extensions installed for both
> PHP 5.3 and 5.4:
>
> php5-ctype-5.4.4
> php5-curl-5.4.4
> php5-dba-5.4.4
> php5-dom-5.4.4
> php5-filter-5.4.4
> php5-gd-5.4.4
> php5-hash-5.4.4
> php5-iconv-5.4.4
> php5-json-5.4.4
> php5-ldap-5.4.4
> php5-mysql-5.4.4
> php5-mysqli-5.4.4
> php5-pdo-5.4.4
> php5-pdo_sqlite-5.4.4
> php5-phar-5.4.4
> php5-posix-5.4.4
> php5-session-5.4.4
> php5-simplexml-5.4.4
> php5-sqlite3-5.4.4
> php5-tokenizer-5.4.4
> php5-xml-5.4.4
> php5-xmlreader-5.4.4
> php5-xmlwriter-5.4.4
> php5-xsl-5.4.4
> php5-zip-5.4.4
> php53-5.3.14
> php53-ctype-5.3.14
> php53-curl-5.3.14
> php53-dba-5.3.14
> php53-dom-5.3.14
> php53-extensions-1.6
> php53-filter-5.3.14
> php53-gd-5.3.14
> php53-hash-5.3.14
> php53-iconv-5.3.14
> php53-json-5.3.14
> php53-ldap-5.3.14
> php53-mysql-5.3.14
> php53-mysqli-5.3.14
> php53-pdo-5.3.14
> php53-pdo_sqlite-5.3.14
> php53-phar-5.3.14
> php53-posix-5.3.14
> php53-session-5.3.14
> php53-simplexml-5.3.14
> php53-sqlite-5.3.14
> php53-sqlite3-5.3.14
> php53-tokenizer-5.3.14
> php53-xml-5.3.14
> php53-xmlreader-5.3.14
> php53-xmlwriter-5.3.14
> php53-xsl-5.3.14
> php53-zip-5.3.14
>
> I don't know how to recover from this short of uninstalling all of the
> PHP ports and then installing from scratch.

I ended up fixing it by doing a "make deinstall" for each
php5-whatever, followed by "make deinstall" and "make reinstall" for
each php53-whatever.  That wasn't quite as drastic as uninstalling all
and reinstalling from scratch, and it fixed everything.  All looks
well.

> Also at some point I will want to replace 5.3 with 5.4 again, and I
> don't want to end up with the same issue.  How have folks been
> swapping between these PHP port versions?

I take it there's no easy way to do this without either uninstalling
all the extensions in advance of replacing php53-extensions with
php5-extensions (or vice versa for the other direction), or preparing
some "magic" in advance, though?