Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:50:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Interesting CVSUP failure

I just resolved an interesting cvsup failure, which I think is
indicative of a "nice" boundry failure in the FFS code.

During an earlier cvsup, the disk where my tree is filled up
during the transfer, and an out of range block was allocated
to a file.

I cleaned up the disk to get (a lot) more free space, but subsequent
cvsup's all failed at the point of the allocation (obviously) and
cvsup kept reporting a failure (the wrong one).

I finally sat down to spend some time fixing the error, and turned
on my console monitor, and noticed that the disk error was occuring.

Using some brute-force FS debugging tools, I located the offending
file, deleted it, and the cvsup ran to completion.

Is there any chance that cvsup could report a more meaningful
message for SIGABRT?

In any case, there's also the boudry allocation problem in FFS on
a hard disk-full (as opposed to a soft one from hitting the reserve)
that should be looked into.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---