Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:53:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        Freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: corporate announcement

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Brett Glass wrote:
>
> > cash in sooner rather than later. What will this mean for
> > BSD?
>
> I just listened to a press conference.
>
> - governance of FreeBSD remains with the FreeBSD organization
> - plans to donate technology to FreeBSD
> - plans to share code as open source
> - Hubbard said that he doesn't see any change; and they'll be working on
>   sharing code more between (working on combining code from) BSD/OS and
>   FreeBSD.

My take is similar, having also listened in on the press conference, and
had the opportunity to talk with a number of people involved in the
acquisition.  It's important, while not underplaying the contributions of
Walnut Creek, later BSDi, to distinguish clearly FreeBSD and the various
companies who have contributed resources to the project.  It looks to me
like both Wind River and the FreeBSD Project have a lot to gain from
cooperation, not least in the area of FreeBSD developer access to Wind
River expertise in operating system design, realtime programming, and
software engineering tools.  While Jordan did say he saw things not
changing, I actually see the acquisition as an important opportunity for
positive change: many of the unreached goals of BSDi become far more
reachable with the help of a large, technically savvy yet financially
stable company like WR.

For the record, it's also useful to note that at this point only one
FreeBSD Core Team member is an employee of WC/BSDi/Wind River, Jordan
Hubbard, and only a minority of FreeBSD committers work there (albeit an
important minority).  There was never any question of Wind River acquiring
FreeBSD, despite the somewhat troubling Reuters article claiming as much.
:-)  The FreeBSD Project is not for sale, but contributions are gladly
accepted.  I look forward greatly to WR's contributions.