Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 13:04:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      craig@tuna.progroup.com (Craig W. Shaver)
To:        francis@cody.usls.edu (Francis Vidal)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting a new HD

> hello everyone!
>
> i wanted to mount a new HD (2.1GB Seagate Medalist) on my FreeBSD machine
> that has an existing 2.1GB (of the same model). how do i go about it?
>
> thanks!
>
> ---
> FRANCIS VIDAL, USLSnet, University of St. La Salle, Bacolod City, PH
> P G P key available at -- ftp://ftp.usls.edu/pub/pgpkeys/francis.pgp

Did you partition and label and newfs the disk?  If not, then go
into the /stand/sysinstall program, and then go to the index
section.  Then go to the partition section and create a partition
for FreeBSD.  Write and Quit.  Then back to the index.  Go to
the label section.  Create a file system and give it a mount
point.  It is a good idea to create the mount point directory
before doing this.  Write, which will do the newfs and mount it,
and Quit, and exit all the way out.

You will probably have to edit /etc/fstab to add an entry for
the auto mount and fsck on boot for the disk.  There is a man
page for fstab and mount to help you with this.  Use the
handbook to get more information about setting up new disks
for an existing installation.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088