Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:03:00 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>, Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fixit.flp on a Serial Console

On Friday January 12, 2001 23:49, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 02:14:19AM +0100, Roelof Osinga wrote:
> > "Crist J. Clark" wrote:
> > > At this point I am prompted to go to VTY4 and type 'exit' when I
> > > am done with the shell... Erm, umm, how does one switch to VTY4
> > > on a serial console? I don't think there is such a thing on a
> > > serial boot.
> > >
> > > Anyone have some help for me? How do I recover the system from a
> > > serial console? The system on the HDD will not boot to the
> > > console.
> >
> > Yeah, it *is* a cute one <g>.
> >

> > PS how about a PicoBSD bootflop?
>
> I was thinking about it. Never built a PicoBSD release before.

You don't need to go that far.  There are floppy images available
prebuilt.  Just write them to floppy and boot and you should be OK.  It
is pretty painless.  Now if you need something customized, then you may
need to roll your own, but one of the stock ones should allow you to
boot and have access to most of the tools on a fixit floppy.  That
should get you to single user and allow you to mount partitions and fix
what you need.
	Just go to http://people.freebsd.org/~picobsd/   Click on the "fitting
FreeBSD on a single floppy" link and along the left are the different
releases.  Pick the english (or Polish if you like) binary file.  It is
a floppy image and when written to disk, it boots just fine.
Good luck,

					Tim