Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:22:10 -0500
From:      Mark <boxend@redtick.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing ports

> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm using FreeBSD 5.2.1 and I'm in trouble with installing software
> > using the ports collection. After typing "make install" everything
> > seems to be okay, but in most cases I get a message like this after
> > a few minutes:
> >
> > fetch time out
> >
> > It seemed to me that the mirror servers are not uptodate or that
> > some filenames have changed in the meantime, because fetching data
> > from ftp-servers worked a few times.
> > But in nearly all cases I had to copy the files manually in
> > /usr/ports/distfiles as "make install" finally suggested.
> >
> > So I installed a new ports-collection with sysinstall over ftp but
> > things haven't changed. I'm a little confused, because fetching data
> > from FreeSD ftp-servers doesn't work too (remember that some fetches
> > were successful!).
> >
> > Please help me,
> > Florian

> > Florian Hengstberger
> > e0025265@student.tuwien.ac.at
> > http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e0025265

Are you behind a proxy?? I had a box behind squid once,
had to set fetch to look for the squid server

The information contained in this communication is confidential, private,
proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender immediately.