Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 1997 01:47:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        darrenr@cyber.com.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 3.0 current fails ipfilter 3.2b8 build (fwd)

> > > There is an API ?
> > What do you want that struct for?
>
> well, ifconfig, netstat, etc. all need it.
>
> if you're writing your own LKM for a network driver, you need it.
>
> if you're writing firewalling packet filtering code, you need it.
>
> "struct ifnet" is used in _lots_ of places.
>
> if you want to simulate kernel code, then you also need it.

If it's used lots of places, then the API is bad.  Kernel internals
should not be treated as API.

I count your build failures as *good* things.  For FreeBSD specific
code, it means I can do a grep for an _var,h file, and end up with
a list of what I need to rebuild.  That is a wonderful thing.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.