Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:56:31 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        geom@freebsd.org, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   best common practice to handle variable provider names ?

Hi,
I would like some advice on the following issue.

If i add some geom modules on my disks, the "device names" to be used
in /etc/fstab change accordingly to which nodes are present.

Is there a way to hide these changes so that /etc/fstab always
(within reasonable) has the same entries no matter what geom nodes
I am using ?

E.g. right now I am playing with a disk scheduler module, so if the
scheduler module is present I would like to use ad0-sched-s1, whereas
I should fall back to ad0s1 if the scheduler is not loaded.

How do I handle this with a single entry in /etc/fstab ?
I don't think i can assign a NULL name to a geom class, right ?
(or, maybe I can but then userland programs have a hard time
indicating the provider they want to refer to)

        cheers
        luigi